Art Car Basics by Kim Ritter
Spring Street Studios #134
Types of Art Cars/Bikes/Scooters/Motorcycles
Painted or Airbrushed
Mutant: A car that no longer looks like a car
Mixed Media: Cars with various things attached
Daily Driver: A car which is driven all the time, not just in parades
Art Car Painting
1. Start with a car that runs well and will last
2. Use materials that will last
3. Consider safety
4. Consider added weight
5. Clean the car well
6. Tape off parts not to be painted
7. De-grease with TSP
8. Lightly sand. Do not go down to the metal
9. Paint with 1Shot paint
10. Clear Coat with a 2-part polyurethane like Shop-Line
11. Use Goof Off to clean up hands and brushes and to pick up drips
Mutant Car Making
1. Cut off the unnecessary parts of the body
Weld or rivet on the mutant metal parts
2. Or use a mold and fill with expanding foam, and cover with fiberglass paper and then sand and paint
3. Or use dowels to connect Styrofoam to form a block, carve and use Bondo to cover, sand, paint, sand, clear coat. Attach to car.
4. Use large 3 D lightweight elements like mannequins, instruments etc., then cover with beads, tiles etc.
5. Almost anything goes! Use the skills you already possess to create something uniquely you
Mixed Media Cars:
1 Use magnets or silicone for lightweight objects
2 Use Amazing Goop for larger items
3 Rivet or weld large pieces of metal
Places to go in your art car
Houston Art Car Parade ( 4 days of fun!)
Local parades: Thanksgiving Day parade, Gay Pride Parade, St Patrick’s Day Parade, Mardi Gras Parade in Galveston and others
Houston Art Car Klub Illuminated Cruise Fall and Spring
Hack exhibitionat Traders Village
Tulsa OK Art Car Parade
Victoria TX Art Car Parade
Trinidad CO Parade
Art Togeau, Lawrence KS
Houston’s Art Car Museum
The grocery store and all your errands
Many of these parades offer travel stipends and lodging
Artists are also offered tickets, etc. to attend art events, film openings etc
You can get parade car insurance, if you do not drive your car daily.
You will need a safety inspection, insurance and a fire extinguisher to ride in parades.
1Shot paint: Texas Art Supply or on-line
Shop-Line clear coat: AJ Foyt
Costuming: Frankel’s, Arne’s, Party Boy, resell shops
Houston Art Car Klub
I made my first art car, the Piecemobile in 2008. It was a tribute to my passion for quilting and sewing and was made from a 1999 Sebring convertible.
It was ruined in Hurricane Ike, along with most of the stuff in my studio, and the stuff in my husband’s man cave.
The second car was a collaboration between my husband and I. He came up with the idea of the Peace Expedition, using our 1996 Ford Expedition as the base.
The Peace Expedition
AlongCame Spider was next..a Fiat Spider was the base…it never ran worth a cr@p
Along Came a Spider Art Car 2010
After that I made my Mustang into an art car