Sterling silver jewelry is a staple for every jewelry box, but nothing is worse than when one of our favorites pieces becomes tarnished and discolored. Why this happens is quite simple. When oxygen and sulfur make contact with the silver, overtime, jewelry begins to lose its luster as a result.
Don’t start worrying yet! There are many affordable at-home remedies to get your sterling silver sparkling once again. Here are some of our favorite DIY tricks to help keep your sterling silver jewelry dazzling bright and looking good as new.
Wearing the Jewelry
This method is a no-brainer! An easy way to avoid your favorite silver pieces from going dull is to wear them often! The oils from your skin act as a cleaning agent and can help maintain its brilliant shine (and you will be looking glamorous in the process.)
Soap and Water
Warm water with a mild dish soap is one of the oldest tricks in the book. This easy, at-home method is a great way to safely clean your favorite sterling silver pieces. With the use of everyday products that you have in your kitchen, it’ll save you money while being effective in removing tarnishes!
Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
Lemon juice is commonly known for its powerful cleaning properties, so it’s no surprise that this ingredient is used in washing sterling silver. To do this, mix together ½ cup of lemon juice and 1 tsp of olive oil in a small bowl then use a microfiber cloth to rub the solution on your jewelry. Soon enough, your silver will be back on its A-game.
Baking Soda and Water
If the above solutions aren’t working for cleaning your jewelry, try using baking soda and water. By creating a baking soda paste and rubbing the solution on your jewelry with a toothbrush, your sterling silver will be brand new in no time.
The post Easy Methods to Clean Sterling Silver appeared first on Brian Gavin.
When we think engagement rings, we think love, happiness, and forever spent with our significant other, but little do we realize the history behind this small piece of jewelry. The engagement ring has been a symbolic token for centuries. Journey with us through time as we uncover the history and evolving meaning of the wedding ring.
The history of the engagement ring can be dated as far back as Ancient Egypt! Rings were considered to be symbols of eternity and worn on the third finger of the left hand, which was believed to have a vein that ran directly to the heart. This was the first known culture where people exchanged rings in honor of love.
In Ancient Roman times, men gave betrothal rings to their wives to signify ownership. Women would have two separate rings, one made out of iron that they wore around the house, and one made out of gold that they would wear in public. Historians believed this to be the first instance where rings were used to symbolize marriage.
During Medieval times, wedding rings worn by the wealthy were adorned with various gemstones and considered as symbols of social status. Poesy rings, wedding rings engraved with religious and inspirational messages, also became popular.
It wasn’t until 1477 when diamonds were first introduced to the engagement ring. Archduke Maximillian of Austria was the first to commission an engagement ring adorned with diamonds in the shape of an “M” for his betrothed, Mary of Burgundy.
The Victorian era was a highly recognized time for its influence on jewelry, especially the wedding ring. Engagement rings were typically adorned with large, colorful gemstones, such as opals, rubies, and emeralds, and had bold designs. After the discovery of diamonds in South Africa, it became more common for diamonds to be used in engagement rings. Rose and Old Mine cuts rose to popularity and were placed in flower or clustered settings.
Although popularity for diamond rings declined after the first World War and even more so during the Great Depression, the diamond cartel, De Beers, profoundly influenced the diamond industry. Their slogan, “A Diamond is Forever,” helped persuade both men and women that diamond rings were indispensable and the ultimate motif of an eternal bond.
Now, with hundreds of shapes, cuts, and settings, the options for that perfect ring are endless. With a rich and intimate history, engagement rings have proven themselves to be the utmost symbol of love and matrimony (and that’s something we can definitely get behind)!
Check out our collection of unique diamond engagement rings that we individually handcraft to perfection. We are so proud to be a part of an industry founded on romance, love, and eternal devotion. Visit our website to see it all.
The post The History of The Engagement Ring appeared first on Brian Gavin.
Just like the little black dress hanging in your closet, every woman needs her go-to jewelry staples. Whether it’s for a last-minute date night, work meeting, or lunch out with the girls, jewelry is essential for adding that extra glam to your everyday outfit. From evening wear to business casual, here are our 10 must-have pieces for every woman’s jewelry box.
Hoop earrings are essential when it comes to dressing up or dressing down an outfit. Paired with your favorite denim jeans or cocktail dress, hoop earrings are the best compliment for any outfit. These silver Detailed Braid Hoop Earrings from Nambe are a fun and unique spin on the classic hoop earring and are a must-have accessory for any season.
When it comes to simplicity, diamond studs are the perfect way to accessorize without making too bold of a statement. Pair them with a white blouse and pencil skirt or jeans and a tee, these Split Four Prong Studs are great for every occasion.
The Ancient Greeks were definitely trendsetters when it came to adorning their outfits with elaborate and beautiful cuffs. These historic bracelets are timeless and come in a variety of styles. The Dharma Cuff Bracelet is a modern take on this classic accessory and is sure to be a showstopper for your next holiday party.
Pendant necklaces are our favorite accessory when you are looking for that stunning, yet simple piece of jewelry. The Love Pendant is perfect when you need an understated necklace for your every-day wear (and also makes a great love gift for your special someone).
As the world’s oldest gemstones, we can see why the pearl is considered the queen of gems. From studs to drops, pearls add an additional level of elegance and class to any outfit. The Marquise Earrings Mother of Pearl is a unique twist on this extraordinary jewel and are a true statement piece you will want to wear every day.
With pearls being a timeless jewelry piece, a pearl necklace would enhance your current lineup. Whether you are channeling your inner Audrey Hepburn or need to dress up for a formal occasion, the Pearl No 10 pearl strand necklace should be your new best friend. Pearls are a classic staple that will definitely have you feeling like a glamorous movie star.
From boho chic to sleek and elegant, statement rings are one of the best ways to accessorize any outfit. Our Muli-Band Ring is great for making a bold statement and giving off the illusion of a trendy stacked ring set. On the other hand, if you are looking for something to truly wow the crowd, our Oval Random Cut Amethyst will definitely be a showstopper at your next dinner party.
The post 7 Brian Gavin Diamonds Must-Haves for Your Jewelry Box appeared first on Brian Gavin.
Tis’ the season where the leaves change color, you cozy up to a loved one and, most importantly, bring out your favorite fall accessories. Topaz and citrine are THE hit stones of the season and a must in every closet. As the birthstone of November, topaz and citrine have vibrant tones and come in a variety of shades and colors. From royal blues to deep sunset oranges, these jewels make the perfect addition to your fall wardrobe.Topaz originates from the Greek word Topazios, a small Greek island off the Red Sea. Many believed the name originated from the Sanskrit word ‘tapas,’ meaning fire. The stone can be found in modern day Brazil, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Russia. The Ancient Romans believed topaz to be a stone of great healing power while the Greeks believed it to be a source of strength and vigor.Citrine is very similar to topaz in terms of its variety of warm hues but is a yellow member of the quartz family. Natural citrine can be found in modern day Russia, Madagascar and France. In Ancient Greek times, citrine was used a decorative element for armor and jewelry. Some even considered citrine to hold the warmth of the sun, burning out negative energy and fears.While there is a lot of history and folklore behind these classic stones, there is one thing we know for sure, they are strikingly beautiful. Here are a few of our favorite Brian Gavin pieces that are sure to be showstoppers for your next holiday get-together:This Square Cab Citrine ring, adorned with 66 pieces off White Topaz, will make the perfect accessory to your favorite fall sweater.A Brian Gavin Diamonds favorite is our Oval Checkerboard London Blue Topaz Leverback Earrings. Set in a 14k rose gold setting, featuring a 0.26 ctw diamond melee, they will definitely have you feeling like a princess.Your ears are sure to sparkle in these 7.57 ctw Square Cab Citrine earrings, adorned with 70 pieces of White Topaz.For more beautiful pieces, whether it's a sparkling diamond or colored gemstones, visit Brian Gavin Diamonds to see our large collection!
The post November's Birthstones: Citrine and Topaz appeared first on Brian Gavin.
Life’s greatest moments are meant to be spent with the ones you love. Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours! In honor of Thanksgiving, we’re warming up our thankfulness muscles here at BGD to share all the reasons why we’re grateful in 2018.
- We're thankful for customers who are like family.
- “I’m thankful and grateful that Brian Gavin Diamonds has the opportunity to make two people happy, and we are the catalyst that makes that happen. It feels really good.” – Brian, CEO
- We’re thankful to work with a partner who loves Game of Thrones as much as we do. Furrer Jacot brought every G.O.T fan’s dream to life this year with a new collection that was inspired by the series.
- We’re grateful that we had to spoil Charlie, the most adorable dog in the world, with some pet swag and help his parents choose the wedding bands of their dreams.
- We’re thankful to work with an amazing partner like Nambe to sell their beautiful jewelry and home goods to our customers.
- “I am thankful to be a part of the Brian Gavin family and watching our family grow with every new customer. The knowledge I have gained from Brian Gavin and being able to pass it along to our customers who are making such an important decision is invaluable.” – Nicole, Diamond Consultant
- We’re thankful that we had to the opportunity to expand our beloved 810 collection to now include beautiful diamond bands to match its ring counterpart.
- We’re so lucky that our customers have chosen us to be a part of their happiest moments, from when they say “Yes!” to “I Do!” to celebrating children and the many years spent together.
- We’re thankful for the launch of our Avigdor line with Kabbalah inspired rings.
- We’re grateful to be part our customers’ love stories from beginning to end like with Elizabeth and Bradley!
- We love creating custom work and bringing our customer's visions to life.
- We’re grateful to have such loyal customers who trust us to find the perfect gift for life’s special moments.
- We’re thankful to be part of fairytale proposals that our customers do for their special person.
- “I'm thankful for the creativity customers bring to their custom design ideas and the hardworking staff from sales to jewelers and everyone in between who ensures there’s a great experience from start to finish.” – Avi, CAD & Design
- “I am thankful to work with clients from all over the globe and have a small hand in the celebration of their biggest milestones, whether it be an engagement, the birth of a child or an anniversary.” – Brie, Diamond Consultant
- We’re grateful to give a lovely couple the chance to win a piece of jewelry that best represented their love for one another.
- We loved “traveling” the world with our fans and being part of their special memories this past summer!
- “I am most thankful for the individuals, who I work with that have both guided, and educated me on my path to success at Brian Gavin Diamonds. These individuals are more than just work colleagues, they are great friends, and we all share a love for diamond jewelry.” – Emily, Diamond Consultant
- We enjoy sharing our knowledge through monthly livestreams and getting to answer fans’ questions!
- We love reading the amazing reviews and feedback from customers around the globe. It makes what we do feel even more important and meaningful!
- “I am grateful for Brian Gavin's vision. In an industry where many companies get complacent, he continues to pioneer and push for even better. We never settle!” – Jamie, Diamond Consultant
- Above all, we are so thankful for YOU, our customer and fan, for filling our days with so much joy.
The post 22 Reasons Why We’re Thankful appeared first on Brian Gavin.