Who defines you?
Are your relationships prescriptive or descriptive of who you are?
Many say we are defined by the 5 people closest to us.
So . . . If we don’t like who we have become and are feeling less than authentic, do we first, then, take a close look at our “friends”?
What’s this say about our Facebook “friends”?
Not a day passes when I don’t read a litany of political and social banter akin to the clash of the Titans.
Everyone is right and everyone is wrong.
Invariably, someone reaches the saturation point and declares intent to unplug from Facebook until “things settle down”.
Well . . . Guess what?
There will always be “things” for the rabble rousers to pontificate.
Why leave the party?
Why not simply “unfriend” the offenders?
Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Gravitate towards those whose company you enjoy.
Because one the marvelous things about life is that “things never settle down”
Be who you are and not who you think others want you to be.
There now . . . I said it!
I love you for who you really are!
What is the REAL value you bring to other people?
Seth Godin’s Freelancer Course Challenged me to publicly answer this question.
List of 10 things you deliver to your client
Things that aren’t the thing. Things like timeliness, confidence, respect, a story, etc.
- An ear (or 2)
- Calm in the storm
- Connectivity to resources and people
- Out of the box thinking
I had 12 . . . So I’ll add “Overachiever”
How ’bout YOU?
DO this exercise . . . Truthfully . . . No humility allowed.
We all know of your greatness, but do you?
Do you acknowledge it and ooze with it, or do you suppress it?
We want you to ooze . . .
Ranking yourself relative to your peers
Are you a Legend in your mind?
When is the last time (if ever) you took a serious look at how you rank in your career amongst your colleagues?
THIS is my homework for Lesson #13 of 87 in Seth Godin’s Freelancer Course, and as with ALL assignments in this course, I am required to publish my response in a public place.
The requirement to do these assignments in a public place definitely ups the ante in terms of being candid and honest. Of course if it weren’t to be published, I could easily justify ranking myself towards the TOP in ALL categories . . . because – well – I am a legend in my own mind just as you are in yours.
BUT . . . How far does THAT get us? If I’m not truthful and embellish abundantly, I’m under-serving myself because I would then likely not push myself to improve in these areas of my life and career and would putting myself in the “comfort zone” continuing to do the same things while expecting different results.
I’m not taking this course to keep myself in my comfort zone . . . I’m “here” to learn and stretch myself as much as possible so as to get the most benefit possible out of this course.
Compared to others who do what you do, rank yourself on: reputation, knowledge, expertise, tools, handiness.
My first thought was to review my results on the StrengthsFinder test I took as an assignment in the Entrepreneur Organization Catalyst Program last month.At least in my mind, these offer a “base-line” of strengths upon which I can build as to how they might impact my rankings in these areas.
Here goes . . . I’ll rank’m on a scale of 1-10 – 1 indicates LOWest ranking among peers and 10 is highest.
- Reputation – 8 – The humble side of me feels like this is higher than it should be, but I’ve been paying attention recently to “what people say about me when I’m not in the room” and have had a number of recent, unsolicited validating endorsements published and spoken publicly. I can say that my most treasured value is integrity, and I have always done whatever it takes to have an off the charts accountability to doing the right things. Additionally, I’ve had much involvement in the REALTOR community as a Trainer and Coach and am involved with the local Association . . . and am a consistent voice on my blogsites http://BarryOwensBlog.com and on the http://ActiveRain.com (National level REALTOR site). So . . . While I feel like I have a very good reputation locally and Nationally, I know I can improve by “cranking up the volume” . . . that is putting intentional work into building the “Barry Owen brand”
- Knowledge – 9 – Having been a Real Estate Sales Professional for 24 years and a Principal Broker for 10 of those years and a life-long student of “Organizational Development/Transformation”, I have high confidence in my knowledge level relative to my peers. Mentioning all of the years in business pales in comparison to the fact that I have always been a seeker of knowledge, so I attend lots classes and I teach lots of classes. I’ve never attended or taught any class during which I failed to learn something new and significant. I’m a voracious reader of blogs, news, books, and real estate industry media sources. So . . . No 10 because this is a continuoius improvement requirement.
- Expertise – 7 – A I consider the StrengthsFinder, I realize this moment that I’m a 10 on the technical side of things with strategy, relationship skills, high responsibility, plenty of confidence, and cranial at that . . . but I know that my personality profile sometimes gets in the way of my optimizing my expertise. On the DISC test, I am a DSC which means I have virtually no “I” which essentially means I don’t like people. Truly, I DO like people, but I am somewhat introverted which can be problematic for a sales person or someone who needs to recruit. Working a room is exhausting to me and WAY out of my comfort zone. This affects my “grade” relative to other professionals who do what I do. I “own” this as not being a strength and am focused on filling this gap in my organization by hiting the right person who can/will do this with ease.
- Tools – 6 – The “D” in me often keeps me from optimizing the tools I have. The result is that my other qualities (Strategic, Intellection, etc) result in me finding the BEST tools in the industry AND concocting powerful and innovative ideas for using these tools, I often lose focus before fully implementing them. I am currently “re-tooling” the entire back-office for Pareto Realty and have pledged to keep myself accountable to accomplishing full implementation. Again, I know that for my organization to thrive to its full potential, I will need to hire an implementer – This would be in the form an Office Administrator. I intend to do so within the next 6 months.
- Handiness – 9 – I’m handy to a fault. Maybe it’s the Army Engineer in me, but I LOVE to troubleshoot issues and strategize solutions for problems. I also love DOING stuff and displaying my handiness. Sometimes, this manifests with me taking on plumbing or electrical projects in the house etc. I very much enjoy this handiness strength but actively suppress it in the interest of taking care of the things that matter more in my world. Recent story was my intent to install my new Wood Burning stove myself . . . Better sense showed up before I tackled it, and I called Ashbusters to do it.
Which will you invest in developing?
My primary focus now is to invest in “Leveraging” my strengths by delegating our outsourcing the things that distract me from my core work. I believe I answered this in more detail above.
So . . . There it is . . . Durst you dare to do the same?
I’d love to hear how you rate yourself relative to others who do the work you do.
Confidence in Nashville Real Estate Market – Yes
Don’t worry! Be Confident!
This is the time of year when I’m often asked:
“How will the Nashville Real Estate market fare in 2017 and in the next 5-10 years?”
When I ask: “Why do you ask?”, The prevalent answer is: “I’m worried it’s been too good for too long, and we are due for another down-turn.”
I read this to indicate a lack of confidence. After all, how can we KNOW that the real estate won’t slide starting tomorrow?
Of course, the media doesn’t help foster confidence in – well – ANYTHING, so we worry.
Ah yes! There are also plenty “arm chair quarterbacks” on social media who flit from one false premise to another and pontificate doom and gloom with a large serving “knowitall.”
“They don’t know it all!”
Well, I guess we REALTORS do not have Crystal balls, but we do have knowledge and experience that helps us restore some of this Home Buyer and Seller confidence thereby reducing worry.
The City of Nashville continues to thrive. More companies continue to move into our fair city and bring with them many thousands of people all who need to live somewhere.
Demographically, we are rich with Millennials and Baby Boomers all of whom are likely to Buying and selling LOTS of houses and Condominiums in 2017 and beyond. The real experts says this trend will take every bit of 10 years to run its course.
Don’t get greedy based on what I say above. I believe Nashville house values will continue to increase at a healthy rate . . . We’re just laid beck enough to avoid the hyper-appreciation some markets are experiencing.
All in all, I am confident and exuberant about my prediction that 2017 will be a more balanced, healthy market than we’ve seen in the past 12+ years.
After all . . . Worrying is like a rocking chair – Gives ya something to do but doesn’t get you anywhere.
Don’t worry! 2017 is a FABULOUS year for you to make that move and buy your first home or sell your current home for a move up or down . . . or a simple shake up of your lifestyle by moving to a more adventuresome location.
Let’s get moving!
Call you favorite REALTOR today and get this process rolling before Spring hits.
Click here to Find your Nashville House (The world’s best on-line House Hunting experience)
Just be yourself
You have the power to positively influence anyone and everyone you meet.
This is REAL power, and it’s yours . . . No one else has YOUR power.
OWN this power and simply be who you are – always.
When you don’t, you cheat yourself and the rest of us from benefiting from your natural gift to humanity.
So many folks want to know the secret to success.
What’s that “magic formula” of Marketing and Lead Generation that will bring all the right customers to your business?
What are the juicy, secret scripts and dialogs that will increase your capture/conversion rate of Lead to Prospect – then customer or client – then loyal advocate forever?
Well . . . all the other motivational gurus are going to hate me for telling the truth because if you heed my advice, you won’t need to pay their prices to hear and learn stuff that likely won’t work (as well) for you as it does other people.
Here’s the secret . . . You already know all of this. This is the essence of you which you have crafted since birth.
Ooze your genuine self, and you will attract the right people. Of course, you’re going to have to let them know about your business, and because they are the right people, they will care and will personally be one of your advocates and will refer everyone they know to you.
All you’ve gotta do is keep in touch with them and love them as you wish them to love you . . . and support them in their pursuits.
OK! You’re already doing all of the above . . . Now it’s time to crank up your volume.
- Database – If you don’t have one, start one today on paper or email contacts or spreadsheet. (Foundation)
- Sphere of Influence – (Structure Framing) with 5 Categories
- Core Advocates – 3-7 of your biggest fans who literally RAVE about you and your business to everyone they encounter who even whispers intent to the services you offer.
- Inner Circle – 225ish people you already know well enough that they would stop you in the grocery store to say Hi. All of these folks definitely would use your services if they were aware of your business and would likely refer their Friends, family, and work associates to you (with proper “training”).
- Allied Partners – 150ish people who serve YOU! Your auto mechanic, server in your favorite restaurant, Family attorney, Accountant, Lawn care . . . If you are supporting their businesses, why wouldn’t they support YOURS? (with proper “training”)
- Network Potential – 800ish people whom you have met along your journey in life. These folks would recognize your face and your name but don’t know you well enough – yet. (need for proper “training”)
- Colleagues – 500ish other professionals in your field of work. These folks may live anywhere in the world. They have great potential for sending referral business and can be instrumental in the growth of your business through sharing and support regarding systems and industry tools.
- Beginning with the first person who comes to mind, add that person to the appropriate category and all of her contact information (Email, telephone, address) and other personal information (Souse, Children, Pets, Birthday, etc).
- Connect – Pick up the phone and call just to say: “Hi! I’m updating my Business database and came to your name and thought I’d call to say Hi and see how you are doing?” Use that conversation to fill any blanks in your database information and to mention (NOT sell) your business and that you will check in occasionally.
- Thank – Immediately write a very short note on a simple card and drop it along with a business card in the mail.
- Schedule Next Communication in your database. Could be a monthly mailed postcard or letter – a Weekly email with industry news – and a phone call every 3 months
Your Goal . . . Add a MINIMUM of 5 people and no more than 10 people into your database each and every day until you have ALL of the Core Advocates, Inner Circle, and Allied Partners complete. At a rate of 5 each day, you’ll have 380 of your most powerful relationships dialed in within 3 months.
There now . . . Do this and you will find yourself getting 80% of your business from your nearest and dearest Friends.
The bast about this?
People generally refer people who are just like themselves