DLD 166: The Suite Life
What happens when Emirates and Singapore Airlines try to one-up each other with their first class suites products? Arguably passengers win, though we’re somewhat skeptical of the value of that victory.
Also in this week’s show:
- The FlyingBlue program is going revenue-based for both earning and redemption in 2018. We all know why, but WHY??
- United Airlines is no longer an operator of the 747. The company ran its final service with the 747-400 after 47 years flying various versions of the aircraft. It was a helluva party.
- Emirates went shopping at the Dubai Air Show, though it wasn’t for the planes many expected.
- World Airways is making a comeback, hoping to restart the brand with a new long-haul LCC focus that is definitely different. But will it work?
- Smog can cause lots of problems but this may be the first time United Airlines has ever cancelled flights because of it.
- Seth is in Chengdu, China this week and has some interesting observations on the relative price and quality of hotels there
- Finally, if you’re interested in talking more about travel, loyalty, casinos and other ridiculous fun in person check out ZorkFest in Atlantic City on 2 December 2017. Seth is one of the people presenting and some registration discounts are still available.
DLD 165: Ch-ch-ch-changes
Multiple aircraft types were retired from fleets over the weekend. From the 747 all the way down to the Fokker and Avro change is afoot. But lots of new stuff launched, too, so it is not all bad.
Also in this episode:
- Singapore’s new T4 opened this week
- Denver’s new terminal plans
- United’s new award charts are now in effect
- Southwest’s concerts in flight
DLD 164: A Stupid LCC Play
There are tons of incredible things to see on a visit to Japan. Seth appears set to do roughly zero of them next week. Instead he’s flying around on a handful of Japanese LCCs. And he tries to explain why.
Also in this episode:
DLD 163.5: You’re so (Trip In) Vain
We accidentally recorded two different episode 163s this week so y’all get bonus content.
Stephan and Fozz tried to go to Taiwan a couple weeks ago. The many different ways that trip fell apart is impressive.
DLD 163: A whole neo world
Airbus has a new(ish) plane starting test flights this week. The A330neo took flight for the first time over Toulouse this morning and, while many bits are similar to how the A330ceo works it is also a spectacularly new plane in far more than just the engines. So we’re talking a decent amount about that in this episode.
We’ve also got two special guests on this week, Jason and Jeremy, who spent some time last week chasing down old and new planes across Europe just for fun. Because why not spend a day visiting multiple countries and airports and exploring??