34 Healthy Recipes for Picky Eaters
For most of us, eating healthy is not a simple affair. It requires more thought and time than simply grabbing a snack from the vending machine, ordering whatever catches your fancy on the menu, or cooking your favorite meals. This is especially true if you (or those you cook for) are picky eaters. However, you should not let the fact that you’re a picky eater prevent you from providing your body with the nutrients it needs to be a lean mean machine. There are plenty of healthy recipes for picky eaters.
Thanks to the rise of the Internet, there are healthy recipes and sources of healthy inspiration everywhere. Don’t believe me? Spend 10 minutes on Pinterest and I promise you’ll walk away with at least 1 new thing you want to try. In fact, eating healthy regardless of dietary restrictions or personal preferences has never been easier. There are a million dinner ideas literally at your fingertips! To get you inspired to eat a little healthier, I’ve put together some of my favorite healthy recipes for picky eaters. Enjoy!
Healthy Breakfast Recipes for Picky Eaters
You know the saying: “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!” So start your day off right with the following nutritious, delicious, and healthy recipes for picky eaters.
1. Healthy Gluten Free Breakfast Smoothie (Freebie Finding Mom) – Need to grab something on the go? This gluten free breakfast smoothie is fast, easy, tasty, and healthy. What’s not to love?
2. Coconut Oil Granola (Freebie Finding Mom) – Take advantage of the health benefits of coconut oil first thing in the morning with this scrumptious granola. This healthy recipe for picky eaters can be customized to your preferences by swapping in your favorite flavorings, nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
3. Breakfast “Sushi” (My World Simplified) – This fun breakfast idea is perfect for vegetarians and a great way to use up leftover tortillas. Bonus: The kids can practically make these “sushi rolls” by themselves (except for the slicing).
4. Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Eggs (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Trying a paleo lifestyle? Then you’ll definitely want to check out this sweet potato hash recipe. It’s great for breakfast or well, any meal actually.
5. Simple Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie (Eat Thrive Glow) – Get in an early morning dose of omega 3 fatty acids with this colorful, flavorful smoothie. Seriously, it tastes like summer!
6. Dark Berry Chia Smoothie (Lavende and Lemonade) – Can’t get enough Chia seeds? I totally understand. This healthy recipe for picky eaters is sweet and just a little bit tart and packed full of good for you stuff including Chia seeds, berries, and coconut oil.
7. Spiced Pumpkin Beetroot Muffins (Caroline’s Cooking) – Okay, we all LOVE Starbuck’s pumpkin spice latte but what about pumpkin in other foods? This seasonal superfood has amazing health benefits such as lowering blood pressure and improving sleep so you should take advantage of it whenever you can… like with these spiced pumpkin muffins.
Healthy Lunch or Dinner Recipes for Picky Eaters
Don’t let temptation lead you astray! When all your coworkers head out to lunch or you just feel too busy to do anything other than run through a drive-thru for dinner, turn to these easy, tasty, and healthy recipes for picky eaters.
8. Goldfish Encrusted Chicken Nuggets (Freebie Finding Mom) – If you go to war with your child each and every night at dinner, than this healthy recipe for picky eaters is for you! Trust me. My son LOVES these goldfish encrusted chicken nuggets and I feel good about the fact that they are baked (versus fried) with no added preservatives.
9. Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup (A Spark of Creativity) – This healthy recipe for picky eaters is perfect for the busy mom (which is all mom’s right?). The chicken and black beans make it a great source of protein while the corn ensures your family is getting some vegetables. You could add in peppers, onions, etc to give it an extra veggie boost.
10. Vegetable Pizza Appetizer (A Spark of Creativity) – This dish looks as good at it tastes. The bright assortment of vegetables makes it pop on any plate. This easy dish is filled with vegetables and sure to be a family favorite (bet you never thought you’d see “vegetables” and “family favorite” together in a sentence).
11. Chicken Sausage Pasta with Veggies (A Spark of Creativity) – This healthy recipe for picky eaters gives traditional pasta dishes a makeover with whole wheat pasta, an extra serving of vegetables, and chicken sausage. This dish is awesome because you can go from start to serving in under 20 minutes.
12. Zucchini Pizza Bites (A Few Short Cuts) – Whether you’re throwing a party and want to have something figure friendly or are looking for something (anything) healthy the little ones will eat, this healthy recipe for picky eaters is for you. Enjoy pizza without all the calories that come with crust!
13. Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Roasted chicken, seasoned vegetables, brown rice, and fresh guacamole… is your mouth watering just thinking about it? Mine is!
14. Grilled Chicken with Raspberry Balsamic Glaze (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Tired of “boring” grilled chicken? Wish you could wow your family and friends this summer with something new, exciting, and healthy? Wish granted! The raspberry balsamic glaze is fresh and refreshing. This is a fun summer healthy recipe for picky eaters.
15. Roasted Vegetables and Sausage (Delicious Meets Healthy) – This healthy recipe for picky eaters is loaded with fiber, antioxidants, vitamin A, and much more. Bonus: You can make this recipe a little lower in calories by using chicken sausage.
16. Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs (Delicious Meets Healthy) – Get a jump start on dinner by marinading chicken breasts and vegetables overnight so that the next evening all you have to do is skewer and grill them for about 10 minutes. Healthy recipes for picky eaters don’t get much easier!
17. Greek-ish Vegetable Empanadas (Caroline’s Cooking) – Hearty, filling, and stuffed with vegetables, these empanadas are a great comfort food. Bonus: They make awesome leftovers to take in to the office for lunch.
18. Marathoner’s Zucchini Ribbon Lasagna (Just 2 Sisters) – This healthy recipe for picky eaters uses zucchini strips in place of some of the noodles to create a fresh and filling lasagna recipe. There are only 320 calories per serving!
19. Pizza Kabobs (Mama of 3 Munchkins) – Does your family love pizza? Whose doesn’t? Save your waistline by trying out this twist on pizza: Pizza kabobs.
Healthy Snacks for Picky Eaters
One of the worst times for those of us trying to get healthier is snack time. There’s just so much temptation. When it comes to snacks, stay on track with these healthy recipes for picky eaters.
20. Coconut Oil Popcorn (Freebie Finding Mom) – Kick back in the comfort of your own home for movie night. Even if you pay to rent a movie from iTunes, Amazon, or RedBox you’ll save big by not paying for a movie ticket. Make the night complete with this healthy recipe for picky eaters for popcorn popped in coconut oil.
21. Orange Juice and Fruit Popsicles (Freebie Finding Mom) – This summer, beat the heat with a cool treat. No, I’m not talking about ice cream. Instead, go for homemade fruit popsicles that are lower in calories and sugar and rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants. Bonus: Create different flavors by using different fruits.
22. Vitamin Gummies (Freebie Finding Mom) – Okay, this isn’t technically a snack recipe but your kids are bound to love this healthy recipe for picky eaters so much they’ll act like it is. These homemade all-natural vitamins are perfect for helping your little ones (and even yourself) fight off any nasty germs.
23. Sweet Potato and Kale Veggie Chips (Freebie Finding Mom) – If you’re a savory palette, you’re well aware of the siren’s call of potato chips. Such salty goodness! Guess what, you don’t have to completely give up chips to get healthy. Instead, try out these sweet potato and kale veggie chips to get your chip fix AND give yourself a nutritious boost thanks to these two superfoods.
24. Homemade Peanut Butter (A Spark of Creativity) – Do you know how to make homemade peanut butter? Let me give you a hint: You’re going to need peanuts… and that’s it. Yep, for this homemade recipe for picky eaters you only need 1 ingredient and you can use the resulting product (peanut butter) in so many different ways.
25. Crunchy Cinnamon “Sugar” Chickpeas (Strength and Sunshine) – Satisfy your sweet tooth with this crunchy snack that is gluten-free, vegan, and sugar-free. Yep, you read that right, sugar-free.
26. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (The Crunchy Chronicles) – Hummus, which is made primarily from chick peas, can help regulate your cholesterol and blood sugar levels, which makes it a healthy snack that is also super tasty. You can customize your hummus in about a hundred different ways from adding garlic to extra peppers. Try pairing it with raw vegetables (like broccoli) instead of chips or pretzels to keep it healthy.
27. Cucumber Chips (The Crunchy Chronicles) – Here’s another awesome vegetable chip recipe. This healthy recipe for picky eaters is super simple (10 minutes of prep time) and is gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian friendly. Yum!
28. Homemade Nutella (Eat Thrive Glow) – Looking to treat your heart? Try this homemade Nutella spread. It’s rich in hazelnuts which are known to help maintain a healthy cholesterol level. You can use Nutella in a variety of other dishes making this an awesome healthy recipe for picky eaters.
29. Healthy Chocolate Mockshake (Snappy Gourmet) – Some days just call for a chocolate milkshake… but that doesn’t mean you have to wreck your diet. This healthy recipe for picky eaters (who doesn’t like chocolate?) is gluten-free, has no added sugar, and can be made dairy free.
30. Baked BBQ Zucchini Chips (A Few Short Cuts) – Do you love barbecue chips? What better food is there for a summer picnic? Now you can add a little nutritional value to that summer treat by swapping potatoes for zucchini.
31. Crunchy Apple Chips (Living Sweet Moments) – Believe it or not, you can also make chips out of apple slices. If you’ve struggled to get your little one to consume any fruit at all this may do the trick. These apple slices are also a great accompaniment to your brown bag lunch each day.
Healthy Desserts for Picky Eaters
Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten about the most important meal of the day: dessert. Here are some sweet healthy recipes for picky eaters.
32. Chocolate Date Balls (Cake Whiz) – This dessert healthy recipe for picky eaters also goes by the name “energy balls”. Made from a combination of nuts, coconut, and dates, they have a decedent fudge texture but are secretly pretty darn good for you.
33. Chocolate Beetroot Brownie Bites (Caroline’s Cooking) – While this might not be the healthiest recipe ever, in comparison to normal brownies, this healthy recipe for picky eaters rocks! Filled with beetroot, coconut milk, dates, and almonds with very little sugar, it is scrumptious, gooey, and irresistible.
34. Easy Mini Berry Tarts (Confessions of an Overworked Mom) – Work some fruit into your diet (as well as your children’s) by passing it off as dessert. Trust me, with these sweet and tart berry treats, no one will question whether or not this counts as “dessert”.
For more healthy recipes for picky eaters, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Toddler Meals Pinterest board and be sure to check out these 25 toddler lunch ideas along with these healthy homemade snack ideas for kids.
Now, if you haven’t drooled all over your keyboard, please share your favorite healthy recipes for picky eaters in the comments.