Data received : 27-Nov-2018 Tapway
Location: Petaling Jaya
has launched FaceTrack, a facial recognition solution for businesses that have physical locations such as retail stores, banks, and hotels.
With FaceTrack, businesses can detect faces and have the images processed so they can gain insights to help them improve customer experience, enhance security at their premises, and streamline operations.
Currently in beta version, FaceTrack is suitable for small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) as well as large enterprises in any industry including retail, banking, hospitality, and healthcare. Offered as a package that consists of camera devices, software, a server hardware, services, and online subscriptions, FaceTrack is available only in Malaysia at this time.
- Blacklist and Whitelist Detection: It allows users to create a blacklist and a whitelist. If a blacklisted face is detected, the system will send an alert to designated people via SMS, email, or an app notification. If a whitelisted face is detected, the system instantly recognizes it and saves it in the database. Users can also opt to send out a specific notification following the detection.
- Demographics: This feature allows users to identify the gender and age range of people tracked by the system.
- Emotion Analysis: It allows users to identify the emotions of people such as happy, sad, or angry.
Nov 26, 2018 - LG Delivers New Smart Display with the Google Assistant
For IT News Week 4 of Nov 2018 - Disk 2
, check out the tips from Kaspersky pertaining to consumer's Internet security.
For this week / last week, here are / were the biggest news:
Nov 28, 2018 - TIBCO Cloud Mashery API Listings now available on AWS Marketplace TIBCO Software Inc
- Nov 28, 2018 - TIBCO Cloud Mashery API Listings now available on AWS Marketplace
- Nov 28, 2018 - myNEWS Celebrates 22nd Anniversary With Push Towards Cashless
- Nov 28, 2018 - Kaspersky Lab Partners with The Mix To Launch #AndOwningIt Campaign And Help Young People Embrace Their Insecurities
- Nov 28, 2018 - Inaugural LinkedIn Opportunity Index reveals Career Advancement matters most to Malaysians
- Nov 27, 2018 - OPPO collaborates with Telco Partners to introduce attractive R17 Pro packages.
- Nov 27, 2018 - Western Union Expands with Online International Money Transfers in Malaysia
- Nov 26, 2018 - SG - NSFocus Launches 30-Day Scan Challenge to Identify Web Vulnerabilities
- Nov 26, 2018 - Sony Launches New Wireless Noise Cancelling WI-C600N Offering Music Lovers Wireless
- Nov 26, 201 8 - Find Your Inner Hero With The New Logitech M238 MARVEL Collection
- Nov 26, 2018 - LG Delivers New Smart Display with the Google Assistant
., a global leader in integration, API management, and analytics, today announced the availability of TIBCO Cloud™ Mashery
® API Listings on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Marketplace. The solution provides customers of the Mashery® platform with a seamless API publishing and management experience for customers listing public APIs on AWS Marketplace.
“Digital is changing how enterprises create and capture value, and APIs are a key enabler for internet-scale distribution and platform business models,” said Rajeev Kozhikkattuthodi, vice president, product management and strategy, TIBCO. “AWS Marketplace creates an environment to connect API creators and API consumers, which expands markets, disintermediates value chains, and disrupts the digital economy with APIs.”
TIBCO Cloud Mashery customers can now publish their APIs on AWS Marketplace as a listing. Billing and monetization is executed directly from the API consumer’s AWS account, with API publishing and management handled natively in the Mashery platform. TIBCO Cloud Mashery is one of the first API platforms to offer this capability on AWS Marketplace. Nov 28, 2018 - Kaspersky Lab Partners with The Mix To Launch #AndOwningIt Campaign And Help Young People Embrace Their Insecurities A new Kaspersky Lab report
shows that Generation Z are the most anxious to date.
In line with its global commitment to turn insecurity into security, Kaspersky Lab has joined forces with digital youth charity The Mix to help young people from around the world embrace their own insecurities, and show that they are not barriers to achieve happiness, through a new campaign – #AndOwningIt
The campaign will be supported by custom t-shirts, featuring the most common insecurities young people have, encouraging them to accept their insecurities and start a conversation. All of the profits from selling the t-shirts will go to The Mix.
As part of its study, Kaspersky Lab surveyed 1,003 13 to 23-year-olds in the UK to discover more about their insecurities and what they feel anxious about. Nov 28, 2018 - myNEWS Celebrates 22nd Anniversary With Push Towards Cashless
MYNEWS Holdings Berhad, Malaysia’s largest homegrown convenience retail store, is celebrating its 22nd anniversary with the official launch of myNEWS Malaysia App, as part of its commitment to offer a seamless and rewarding shopping experience for its customers.
With the myNEWS Malaysia app, customers can make cashless purchases at myNEWS stores, earn and keep track of their loyalty points. The app was introduced as a pilot run earlier this year and it has received positive and encouraging feedback from the members.
Registered members enjoy exclusive benefits under the app including Bonus Points Rewards, Points Exchange Rewards, Stamps Campaigns and Promotion Coupons. The app also allows the members to virtually store their myNEWS Loyalty Card – a stored-value card that allows consumers the flexibility of making instore purchases via cashless transactions, on their mobile devices.
Dang Tai Luk, Chief Executive Officer, myNEWS Holdings Berhad, said that this initiative aims to serve 'on-the-go' consumers with better shopping experience - they partner with Mastercard for this project. Nov 28, 2018 - Inaugural LinkedIn Opportunity Index reveals Career Advancement matters most to Malaysians LinkedIn
, the world’s largest professional network announced today the findings of its inaugural LinkedIn Opportunity Index in the Asia Pacific (APAC) region where it has more than 153 million members, including four million in Malaysia.
The Index seeks to understand how people perceive opportunity and more importantly, barriers that may prevent them from getting to those opportunities. Over 11,000 respondents in nine markets - Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Singapore were surveyed.
Key findings on Malaysia:
Nov 27, 2018 - OPPO collaborates with Telco Partners to introduce attractive R17 Pro packages
- Malaysia ranked fifth in APAC - higher than more developed markets such as Japan, Hong Kong and Australia - indicating confidence among professionals about chances of accessing and achieving success with opportunities that are relevant to them.
- 1) Career advancement, 2) growing their business and 3) looking for business opportunities are the main opportunities Malaysians are currently interested in
- 1) Financial status, 2) lack of strong networks and 3) difficult job market are the top three barriers to opportunities
O-fans can now rejoice with OPPO R17 Pro Promotion
in collaboration with telco partner Celcom, as well as chain store partner, Senheng and SenQ. Celcom is offering the OPPO R17 Pro through its EasyPhone™ Own that comes with a special price of RM123 per month, on top of the First Platinum Plus 188. Other than that, every purchase of OPPO R17 Pro in Celcom stores will get free Neo Smartwatch worth RM389. Nov 27, 2018 - Western Union Expands with Online International Money Transfers in Malaysia Western Union
, a leader in cross-border, cross-currency money movement, has launched online money transfers in Malaysia via the Western Union® mobile app and westernunion.com, enabling customers to send money with a few clicks, 24/7, to almost anywhere in the world.
Western Union’s Mobile App also enables customers who prefer paying for their transactions in person to commence their transaction on the app and then visit an agent location to complete their transaction more quickly. To commemorate the start of the service, Western Union has announced a launch transfer fee of RM0.99 per transaction for sending through the Western Union mobile app and westernunion.com.
|Steven Wong Weng Leong, Regional Directory, Western Union|
Steven Wong Weng Leong, Regional Director, Malaysia & Brunei, Western Union said that they are accelerating our digital presence to mirror our iconic retail footprint globally and locally to offer customers multi-channel choice to suit all their money transfer needs. Nov 26, 2018 - SG - NSFocus Launches 30-Day Scan Challenge to Identify Web Vulnerabilities NSFOCUS
, the leader in holistic hybrid security solutions, today announced the launch of its 30-Day Scan Challenge which focuses on reducing organisations’ exposure to cyber-attacks. Organisations are invited to test their web vulnerability through the 30-Day Scan Challenge, where companies who emerge vulnerability-free stand a chance to win an Apple Watch. The 30-Day Scan Challenge is powered by the NSFOCUS Cloud Web Vulnerability Scanning Service.
The NSFOCUS 30-Day Scan Challenge starts on 1st December 2018. Organizations are invited to complete and submit a scan immediately to stand a chance to win an Apple Watch.
Click here to register and start your 30-Day Scan: https://webscan.nsfocus.cloud/#/Nov 26, 2018 - Sony Launches New Wireless Noise Cancelling WI-C600N Offering Music Lovers Wireless Sony
today unveiled its latest addition to its family of innovative Bluetooth® noise cancelling headphones, the new WI-C600N neckband. Aimed at music lovers, the WI-C600N comes jam-packed with superior wireless sound quality and noise cancelling features, all while ditching the cables to provide wireless freedom anywhere and everywhere.
Nov 26, 201 8 - Find Your Inner Hero With The New Logitech M238 MARVEL Collection
- Noise Cancelling technology and Ambient Sound Mode to enjoy music without distraction
- Hands-free music and calls with lightweight neckband design offering music lovers freedom to move
- Superior sound with DSEE enhancement and 6mm Dynamic Drivers
(SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) announced the 2018 Logitech M238 MARVEL Wireless Collection, a new collection of mice that let you show support for your favourite MARVEL Super Heroes. With the exclusive Logitech MARVEL Collection, you can take on the day with inspiration from your favourite Super Heroes, whether you choose Captain America, Iron Man, Black Panther or Spider-Man.
The Logitech MARVEL Collection features the Logitech® M238 Wireless Mouse in four MARVEL designs: Captain America, Iron Man, Black Panther and Spider-Man. When using the M238 Wireless Mouse, you can:
- Count on the mouse to get the job done and be reliable like Captain America. The M238 Wireless Mouse is compatible with Microsoft Windows®, Mac®, Chrome OS™ and Linux®, and the nano USB receiver lets you roam from up to 33 feet away.
- Embrace the future and forge your own destiny like Iron Man, by navigating smoothly and easily through web pages or documents with the comfortable scroll wheel. So regardless of how many pages you scroll through, don’t lose sight of the end goal.
- Show true loyalty to your craft like Black Panther. The M238 Wireless Mouse lasts 12 months on a single, pre-installed battery, which means you never have to worry about cutting out on your craft or job.
- Stay light, flexible and portable like your favourite wall-crawling superhero, Spider-Man. The M238 Wireless Mouse can easily be used on the go – or tucked in a backpack like Peter Parker’s Spider Suit – so you and your mouse are ready whenever someone needs you.
The Logitech M238 MARVEL Collection is available now in Malaysia at all Logitech Authorised Resellers, retailing at RM89.00.
This week LG Electronics
Inc. (LG) begins rolling out a powerful and intelligent speaker with a unique Smart Display that combines the capabilities of the Google Assistant with unparalleled sound quality from Meridian Audio to create a powerful and beautiful device designed for the smart home. The LG XBOOM AI ThinQ model WK9 will be available starting in the United States with key markets in other regions to follow.
The advanced Smart Display was developed in collaboration with Google to ensure that the WK9 builds upon the capabilities that come with having a Google Assistant speaker with the added convenience of a touchscreen display. The WK9 leverages LG’s partnership with Meridian Audio, an industry-leading innovator in high-performance audio solutions, to deliver delivering high-fidelity sound, precise vocal definition and accurate bass, despite its compact size.
Data received : 5-Dec-2018
Location: MalaysiaKey Take-Aways:
- Cyberjaya Tech Hub Enabler, Cyberview Sdn Bhd today through its wholly-owned subsidiary Futurise Sdn Bhd introduced collaborative programmes made available to interested innovators and creators in 2019, ahead of its official launch early next year.
- Together with its industry partners, the programmes are centred around the Future Economy agenda for Malaysia in which emphasis is put on the application of highly-disruptive technologies across three key areas: Smart City, Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Robotics and Sustainable & Renewable Energy; against the backdrop of Industrial Revolution 4.0 and Malaysia’s recently launched blueprint, Industry 4WRD.
- The collaborative programmes are developed and designed together with industry partners such as Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI), Malaysian Global Innovation & Creativity Centre (MaGIC), Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MiGHT), Malaysia Automotive Institute (MAI), Malaysia Board of Technologists (MBOT) and Malaysia Robotics & Automation Society (MyRAS).
- During the soft launch, demonstrations and showcase of AI/Robotics, Drone technologies, Mixed Reality technologies among others from technology partners like Microsoft and TrifoldX Sdn Bhd, eMooVit Technology Sdn Bhd, Poladrone Solutions Sdn Bhd, Robopreneur Sdn Bhd, Alpha Catalyst Consulting and RS & GIS Consultancy Sdn Bhd, were included.
- Futurise as a one-stop centre, aspires to serve as a platform to allow the enterprise, academia and entrepreneurs to collaborate.
- Mahadhir Aziz, the Acting Chief Executive Officer at Futurise Sdn Bhd said Futurise is positioned as a one-stop centre in the development of futuristic innovation ecosystems, anticipating the Industrial Revolution 4.0 (IR4.0) in Malaysia.
|Soft launch of Furturise Collaboration Inititiave|
- The official launch is expected by 2019.
- Futurise serves as one-stop centre for innovators to collaborate with technology innovators, with focus on Intellectual Property (IPs) development, prototyping or funding for novel technologies - it helps to save the efforts of identifing and organize resources of the like-minders.
Data received : 5-Nov-2018
Location: MalaysiaKey Take-Aways:
- Comments on Sugar Tax
- After much deliberation, the Sugar Tax has finally been implemented. The Government intends to introduce excise duty from 1 April 2019 at 40 cents per liter on two categories of sugary drinks manufactured in the form of ready-to-drink packaging.
This is a policy intervention which has been pitched at influencing healthy behaviors, rather than a measure for the government to collect taxes. Such a law may also help the government as savings in healthcare would directly help reduce expenditure, helping the government to better use the monies saved elsewhere.
Advocates of sugar taxes do make references to the success of tobacco taxes when justifying why they think a sugar tax will work to lower soda consumption. Where the main concern with tobacco is cancer, the main concerns with soda are diabetes and obesity, a major disease and condition.
- The Sugar tax will impact the F & B business.
Businesses that sell these drinks may fear lower revenue from sales of these items as the prices may be raised to keep margins at the same levels whilst some businesses may choose to absorb the tax.
In addition, businesses such as supermarkets and restaurants may see this as an opportunity to sell healthier options as revenue could still be streamed from these healthier options, replacing potential loss of revenue acquired from the sugary drinks as well as moving in trend towards global consumer health awareness.
Spokeperson: Arlene Wherrett, Vice-President and Managing Director Sage Asia
said that the Government’s multiple programs consisting of hundreds of millions to support SMEs in Malaysia demonstrates the government’s focus on ensuring SMEs have what they need to be successful
|Arlene Wherrett, VP and M.D, Sage Asia|
For example: SME financing funds by commercial financial institutions of RM4.5 billion with 60% guarantee of Business Financing Guarantee Scheme (SJPP)
and the RM100 million allocated for TEKUN to finance small entrepreneurs
is an encouraging boost for SME’s who account for more than are the backbone of the Malaysian economy. Permodalan Usahawan Nasional Berhad allocation of RM200 million for the wholesale and retail industry
is definitely a good call towards building these segments of businesses.
Additionally, the reduction of income tax to 17% for companies with taxable revenue under 500k
does offer companies the ability to apply more resources towards technology adoption.
Commenting on Industry 4.0 industry, the RM210 million allocated towards the promotion of Malaysia’s transition towards Industry 4.0 between 2019-2021 is timely and in line with developments around the world, and a resounding call of support to Malaysian businesses to be on the frontline of technology adoption.
This will enable businesses to maximise their productivity, allowing for resources to be redeployed to revenue-generating activities. In fact, automation and AI have been proven to also ease the manpower crunch around the world, which Malaysia also faces. Offerings: Sage will be proactive to adopt the changes into their accounting software
, making the transition easy for businesses affected and will take a proactive approach with customers to ensure a seamless adoption of this new tax.
To be successful in implementing the new taxes, businesses need to invest time to put in place measures that will eventually automate and ease the tax computations. To save time and effort, businesses can take advantage of software and technologies that can ease such operational burdens which reduces operational costs as the transaction can be automated. Editor's comments:
Reference: Post Budget 2019 Commentary Comments on Sugar Tax, SME & Technology Initiatives by Arlene Wherrett, Vice-President and Managing Director Sage Asia
- The Malaysian SME economy benefited immensely from the low cost offerings of financial accounting solutions from Sage - with proactive update rollouts in line with the changes of government's policies and directives.
- Industry 4.0 initiative is the new gold rush for technology vendors following the traditions of Y2K bug, cloud computing, GST etc
- The critical success factor is for businesses to undergo paradigm shift to achieve higher competitive advantage, to take the opportunity to perform change management and also to reinvent the core business, as well as reprioritising of resources.
- Adoption of the Industry 4.0 initiative is an investment in the short term scenario.
For IT News Week 4 of Nov 2018
, the offering of data stamping with signature by Quadrant Protocol is interesting.
For this week / last week, here are / were the biggest news:
Nov 23, 2018 - Huawei Themes Showcases Malaysian-Inspired Mobile Phone Themes Huawei
- Nov 23, 2018 - Huawei Themes Showcases Malaysian-Inspired Mobile Phone Themes
- Nov 23, 2018 - Realme Smartphones Now Available in 500 Authorized Stores Across Malaysia
- Nov 23, 2018 - Grab Joins NKF in Supporting Renal Patients
- Nov 23, 2018 - Sophos: Every Day is Black Friday
- Nov 23, 2018 - Kasperksy : Amazon Incident + Keeping Yourself Safe ~ Black Friday
’s very own official Android application distribution platform, Huawei Themes recently collaborated with KDU University College for the Love Our Malaysia Themes Design, the first-of-its-kind workshop and contest.
|The Borneon by Tee Kim Thiam and Yiing Yng|
As a result, Malaysian-inspired wallpapers ranging from local delicious food such as nasi lemak and kueyteow to the iconic landmarks like Petronas Twin Towers were produced by the students and designers to capture a blend of beauty and unique culture of Malaysia. These impressive wallpapers are made available for downloads on Huawei Themes.
The winners of the Love Our Malaysia Themes Design were Tee Kim Thiam and Yiing Yng. Their winning designs of The Borneon was inspired by the amazing Borneo and Childhood, a nostalgic memory of childhood toys and snacks most Malaysians grew up with.
Nov 23, 2018 - Realme Smartphones Now Available in 500 Authorized Stores Across Malaysia Realme
|KLCC theme||Nasi lemak theme||Hang Tuah theme|
, the young smartphone brand that has been making waves since its launch in Malaysia earlier this month, today announced the availability of its smartphones at various dealers in the country. Beginning 24th November 2018, eager fans will be able to get a touch and feel of the phones at selected distributors such as Direct D, Mobile To Go, Seven Mobile, One digital store, Fix Express and many other retailers. These are part of the 500 retailers who will be offering the smartphones in-store across Malaysia.
Tiffany Teh, Brand Manager of Realme Malaysia, said the products offering of Realme and the availability at retailers allows consumers to experience the phone before buying, is in line with our aim to provide smartphones that the youth need that helps them in their daily lives.
- Realme 2 Pro:
- 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM – RM 849
- 6GB RAM + 64GB ROM – RM 949
- 8GB RAM + 128GB ROM – RM 1,099
- Realme 2
- 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM – RM 599
- 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM – RM 699
- Realme C1:
- 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM – RM 449
In a separate report, 1,000 units of the Realme C1 were reported to be sold at the commencement of the sale on LAZADA
. Tiffany attributed it to the offerings of mega display and mega battery at a very friendly price point.
The next sale for the Realme C1 on LAZADA will be taking place at 10am on 29th November, at these promotional prices:
Nov 23, 2018 - Grab Joins NKF in Supporting Renal Patients
- 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM – RM 399 (Regular retail price is RM 449)
Grab Malaysia and the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) of Malaysia recently announced a fundraising partnership to purchase a dialysis machine for the underprivileged kidney failure patients. The collaboration between Malaysia’s first non-governmental organisation to offer haemodialysis treatment and Southeast Asia’s leading on-demand transportation and mobile payment platform will enable Grab users to convert their GrabRewards points into donation towards NKF.
From now until 31 December 2018, Grab users in Malaysia can visit their GrabRewards catalogue and convert their points into donations with the Grab app. Every 700 GrabRewards points can be converted into a RM5 donation towards NKF by Grab users.
Check out the details
. Nov 23, 2018 - Sophos: Every Day is Black Friday
There are no precautions you should take on Black Friday and Cyber Monday that you shouldn't also take on, any given Sunday, National Cookie Day, March Madness, the second fiscal quarter, the lunar phase cycle or at any other time, because the scammers never sleep.
To better protect yourself from scams, every day:
Nov 23, 2018 - Kasperksy : Amazon Incident + Keeping Yourself Safe ~ Black Friday
- Use a web filter. Web filters, like the one included in Sophos Home, stop you from browsing to websites that are known to be used for scams, phishing or spreading malware.
- Use a password manager. Password managers create, remember and enter passwords for you, and they won’t enter your password into a phishing site, no matter how convincing it looks.
- If it looks too good to be true, it is. Scams make wild claims and use familiar brands or friends and family to make them seem trustworthy. Stay alert - if something seems off, it probably is.
- Check your bank statements regularly. You can reduce the chance that you’ll become the victim of a scam but you can’t eliminate it, so make a habit of checking how your money's spent.
According to this source
, a “technical error” resulted in Amazon made the names and email addresses of users visible publicly on its website. The flaw had since been fixed and Amazon was fast to mitigate via making public announcements and also emailing affected users.
According to Kaspersky, emails may seem a small matter compared to the theft of bank details or other data breaches, but this sort of information is in fact precious for scammers.
It’s important to understand that any personal data can be used by cybercriminals to target their victims. For example, if criminals compromise a company and get hold of their customer’s email addresses, they can create an automatized spam mailout that mimics an authentic email, and entices users to follow a malicious link or download a malicious file onto their devices.
Kaspersky recommends recommends taking the following precautionary measures:
- Always check the link address and the sender’s email to find out if they are genuine before clicking anything – very often phishers create URLs and e-mails that are are very similar to the authentic addresses of big companies, yet differ from them with one or two letters.
- To make sure you follow a correct link, do not click on it, but type it into your browser’s address line instead.
- Do not enter your credit card details in unfamiliar or suspicious sites and always double-check the webpage is genuine before entering any personal information (at least take a look at the URL). Fake websites may look just like the real ones.
- If you think that you may have entered your data into a fake page, don’t hesitate. Change your passwords and pin-codes ASAP. Use strong passwords consisting of different symbols.
- Never use the same password for several websites or services, because if one is stolen, all of your accounts will be put at risk. To create strong hack-proof passwords without having to face the struggle of remembering them, use a password manager such as Kaspersky Password Manager.
- To ensure that no one penetrates your connection to invisibly replace genuine websites with fake ones, or intercept your web traffic, always use a secure connection – only use secure Wi-Fi with strong encryption and passwords, or apply VPN solutions that encrypt the traffic. For example, Kaspersky Secure Connection will switch on encryption automatically, when the connection is not secure enough.
Be extra caution during e-commerce festivals such as 11-11 and Black Friday.
More Recent Articles